Looks like we’re going to be self isolating and social distancing for quite a while longer, which means, constantly finding ways to keep occupied and entertained. I wrote a post about Things to Do in Self Isolation recently but what I have been learning over the last few days is that it’s also okay to just do nothing. The biggest lesson I’m learning during this crazy time is how time slows down when we slow down. Before all this happened, I would often hear people complain about “how fast the time is going by” or “where does the time go”. It feels like we revel and almost glamourize the idea of constantly being busy, having our calendars full of plans and needing constant external stimulation. I think we can all agree that the last month or so has felt a lot longer and time has really slowed down. If we make an effort to leave space for “nothing”, slow ourselves down even just a little, maybe we will be able to truly be present and appreciate being in the moment.
I’ve been trying to not go down the rabbit hole of binge watching but I’ve definitely indulged here and there. I’m a big reader so I’ve been leaning more on books than I have TV. The one thing I like about books, is that they allow my mind to really shut off. I put my phone away and just get lost in a story. I’m also trying to find the balance between fictional books that I just love to devour and books where I can hopefully learn something about myself.
So here they are. A list of the Top 10 Books I’ve read over the last year or so which I highly recommend and my Top 10 Shows/Movies that I’ve watched during over the last month or so. I’ve been loving going back and watching old classics lately, these are also in no particular order!
These books have truly touched my heart, made me think about my own life and choices, and most importantly, told a story or showed a perspective of someone who has gone through very different experiences than I have. In these stories I did find some common ground but most importantly I learned that no life journey is the same but we all search for love, kindness and compassion.
- Daisy Jones and The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- Cilka’s Journey by Heather Morris
- Know My Name by Chanel Miller
- The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
- Educated by Tara Westover
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
Netflix or Amazon Prime Shows/Movies
- 100 Humans
- Love is Blind
- To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (Part 1 and Part 2)
- Ocean’s 8
- Don’t F*** With Cats
- Training Day
- Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator
- The Stranger
- Dead to Me – Season 1 and 2
- The Last Dance
- Selling Sunset
- Little Fires Everywhere
Want to Watch
- Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey
- Coach Carter
- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
- Dolemite is My Name
Do not. I repeat do not watch Contagion or Pandemic at this time. You’ll thank me later. What are you guys watching or reading? Leave a comment below!