So apparently you guys really like broccoli. Who knew? Not one of my favourite vegetables but for some reason when I think of eating healthy it’s the first one that comes to mind. I think the only time I like it is when it’s smothered in cheese and baked into a pastry dish or casserole. I know, real healthy.
Benefits of Broccoli
First off, did you know that these little green trees have some serious health benefits? Check this out:
- Rich in dietary fibre, vitamin A, beta- , vitamin B6, (vitamin B9), vitamin C, vitamin E, B1, and vitamin K
- Minerals include calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, sodium and potassium. It also contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Aids in digestion & detoxification – the rich fibre content helps to get rid of toxins through the digestive tract, keeps the stomach lining healthy, prevents constipation and curbs overeating
- Anti-Aging – rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants, it helps to fight free radicals responsible for aging. Helps to reduce fine lines, wrinkles and skin issues like acne and pigmentation
- Heart Health – the inflammatory properties of broccoli help in regulating blood pressure and reducing bad cholesterol
I mean if those aren’t enough reasons to start incorporating broccoli into your daily diet I don’t know what are.
For my recipe, I wanted to keep it simple so I could take as much advantage of the health properties as I could.
What you’ll need:
2 heads of broccoli
4-5 cloves of diced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Cut your broccoli heads into smaller size florets (medium size is a good benchmark)
- Ensure that your broccoli is VERY dry
- In a large mixing bowl toss them with olive oil until well coated
- Sprinkle salt and pepper liberally
- Add the garlic and toss to mix
- Spread the broccoli out on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned and crisp
- Remove from the oven and squeeze fresh lemon over the broccoli
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese if you choose
And voila, easy side dish. They didn’t turn out as crispy as I would hope but I wonder if that’s because I didn’t let them dry as much after washing.
Let me know if you guys try this recipe and what you thought!